22 March 2011

knowledge!

Some times i read things that other people have thought of and think that really makes sense! I'll steal that and put it away in my parenting skills box. Funnily enough i didn't read this in a parenting book, or in some mothers magazine but on Yahoo news. Lol. Anyways i thought it was great. I remember so many times growing up having a meltdown and instead my parents being concerned what was wrong with me they were more worried that i had just used a variety of expletives to express said meltdown. I thought to myself my first reaction when Alex swears would be to correct him, then i remember that i swear every day quite freely as sometimes i cant be bothered using my brain to think of a more "mature" or "intelligent" word to express my rage/frustration/sadness or just general mood at the time!! So i read this and I'm hoping in 10 years when Alex is going through things i remember to pull it out of the parenting skills box in my brain and put it into practise.

Compassion

Parents are often too caught up in teaching their children how to act appropriately. When the child or teenager yells or swears, we are quick to point out that the behaviour is not acceptable. Unfortunately, we can miss a valuable opportunity to connect with our child. If a child has an emotional outburst, instead of criticising their choice of language or their inappropriate tone, tell them that you can see how upset they are and that you’d love to help if they could calmly tell you what’s wrong. That way, you’re telling them that they need to calm down, but in a compassionate way.

2 comments:

  1. That's really good! I never thought about it like that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sometimes it's hard to think clearly in such situations...

    Thanks for stopping by today.

    ReplyDelete